Friday, February 5, 2016

Turning Obstacles into Opportunities

     I often use the expression, Smooth sailing never a skillful mariner makes.  Recently I experienced it when told, “No, we can’t do that for you anymore.” While I believe the benefits of doing it far outweighed the concerns, I had no choice but to accept the answer. However, that obstacle, while briefly painful, became a refreshing, motivating and energizing opportunity for me.  I had to consider alternatives, look for a different way of getting the information, and it forced me to consider whether even doing it was worthwhile.  
     In retrospect, I did what I probably should have done before being told "no." I developed a little creativity and then within ten minutes directly connected with women educators in Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Georgia and Kansas. I apologized for needing to confirm their DKG membership as I do not personally know all 77,000 members. But, in those connections I met new friends; was affirmed by each one in a different way; and increased the number of members in the DKG International Facebook group composed of 800 + members who want  an opportunity to exchange ideas and make connections. I didn't start this group but felt a responsibility to help facilitate their desired connectivity.

     This Facebook group, as opposed to the official DKG Facebook Page, is composed of DKG members, many of whom love to connect and share with each other, post information about their chapters, state organizations (in some cases their personal honors), and even share their plans to attend regional and international meetings including most recently, the 2016 international convention in Nashville.  Several of those I contacted had never participated beyond the chapter level, but expressed pride in their DKG membership.
     If you are wondering where I am going with this, let me tell you.  It is simply to challenge you, and especially members of DKG, to pursue your dreams, overcome your setbacks, don’t break your toothpick on a marshmallow and refrain from blaming others for your circumstances.  We all face obstacles, some of our own making and others imposed by others, but it is how we respond to them that matters. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy and don’t believe that an obstacle may present an opportunity for professional and personal growth. That is our choice.

     Order often comes from chaos.  Obstacles and disappointments can be blessings in disguise. Out of discord seeds can be sown that bring forth new life. Consonance can emerge from dissonance and obstacles can promote creativity, reflection, personal meditation, a review of purpose and yes, even personal strength and ingenuity we did not realize we had.
     If you were not selected for something you really wanted, didn’t receive the recognition you thought you deserved, weren’t as effective as you wanted to be, frustrated by your return on your investment of time and energy,  don’t give up. Timing is critical and when one door closes a better one may open, if not immediately, perhaps later.  Persistence is an important key to success and maybe one more effort, attempt, or invitation to membership will yield the desired result.  

     Most women educators who belong to DKG understand the obstacles we face as an organization including membership, leadership, communication, and participation. Some may be conflicted by the desire to honor our past, celebrate our present and also remain relevant to attract future generations. We can do all three! As members of our organization we hold within us an amazing power to become even greater than we have ever been! Make a commitment right now that when you face your next obstacle, and you will, you do everything within your power to change it into one of your best opportunities.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and especially for your affirmation.

      Delete
  2. Beverly, When I read your blog, the first word that came to mind was commitment. You were committed to the task of working on the Facebook concern whether others thought it was important or not. Your levels of commitment and determination are to be admired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, my friend, you are most perceptive. Thanks for your support.

      Delete
  3. You have used one of my favorite quotes. I am reminded of it often as those who trek into new waters will be challenged to grow and learn, face new ideas, wrestle with our own self and weigh the importance of our beliefs. I admire your words, and as a true leader, you already know there is more than one way to skin a cat. As always, I admire your strength in leadership, style of delivery, and love of DKG. Thank you for your well thought and poignant words. Peggy McCall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy, Thanks for your kind words. I do love DKG and the members who are the reason the organization exists.

      Delete
  4. Love it!! I encountered an obstacle today, which with your words in this blog, encourages me to overcome it and an opportunity to learn and grow. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Robyn. Your persistence is evident to me.

      Delete
  5. I hear you loud and strong, Beverly! Overcoming obstacles leads to personal growth and unexpected satisfaction, not to mention the opportunity to reinvent one's self by heading in a new, unexplored direction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Most won't understand the "unexpected satisfaction" of which you speak. I do! Thanks. See you soon.

      Delete