Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Engaging Younger Members?

        I challenged  younger members to share ways they have been engaged. Below are excerpts from the information shared by Ginger Holland, Georgia.


        "I joined Delta Kappa Gamma (Lambda chapter) in the fall of 2012. I had been teaching eight years and as a younger member of my chapter, looked forward to learning from the accomplished educators whose ranks I was blessed to join!  I have made strong professional connections, pursued passions that impact education, and developed meaningful friendships along the way!

 

        One such friendship was with Carol McCullough. Carol encouraged me to become more involved in educational policy and insisted that I join the Legislative Committee within our chapter.


Last summer, Carol asked me to be a part of her radio show, “Eye on Blindness.”  She asked that I research and discuss House Bill 18. Little did I know that my research would eventually lead me to a round table discussion at the Georgia State Capitol to debate necessary changes in the bill, and work towards compromise in order to get the bill moved forward in the 2014 Legislative Session. 

 
        Then, I received an email from Carol asking several questions about rumors of the new healthcare plan.  I conducted research on the State’s new Healthcare Plan.  I was able to provide updates at our monthly Delta Kappa Gamma-Lambda chapter meetings as well as at the Psi State, Georgia,  Executive Board Meeting this past September.

 

        Since September, I have had the chance to travel to Washington, D.C., to talk with legislators about issues pertinent to Georgia’s students, families, and teachers. I look forward to returning in late January to once again meet with our U.S. leaders to discuss education as it pertains to students who are blind or visually impaired. With the support of my DKG mentor, Carol McCullough, as well as the support and engagement of the Lambda  Chapter members who have encouraged me to participate in various DKG events and leadership opportunities, I have the confidence to pursue my dreams of becoming involved in educational policy. This is how my chapter continues to engage the younger generation!"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment