Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Participation Transforms Members!

Below is the blog I posted on July 17, 2014. Dr. Gwen Simmons, North Carolina, now serving as the international parliamentarian, responded to a question I asked during my tenure as international president  regarding  the one thing that would maintain the viability of DKG. Although 300 individuals viewed the blog, I think it bears repeating.

Simmons wrote, "The answer to your request is more complex than one thing but given all the movement in a positive direction in the last three or four biennia, I think a key one is a focus on the expectation of participation by active members in the activities of the Society: Constitution, Article III Membership. Section B.1: … “An active member shall participate in the activities of the Society.”

During the revision of the Constitution in 2009-10, proposals to strike that expectation from the Constitution were considered— I was adamant in my opposition because I believe that is the key aspect of DKG structure, i.e., participation transforms the member, and provides opportunities to transform the organization.  

Active participation requires a member to think for herself (in situations filled with a diversity of perspectives) and she ultimately realizes that she is leader of sorts and has something to offer the organization (which provided her the opportunity to participate in something she was NOT prepared to do until she finished the 'task'.)"

When we actively participate in DKG, we are transformed, indeed! How can we encourage those who are not actively participating in DKG to join us in that transformation?  Share your ideas as a comment or send me an email.

1 comment:

  1. It seems to me the participation comes once the relationships are formed. The relationships form when we share experiences together. Since teachers love to learn, and many enjoy new experiences, I'm finding activities the perk interests can help. We've had tea parties, tours at zoos for 'behind the scenes' educators, and art museum visits. We are planning a slough slog, a visit to a Native American museum, and a day of craft projects - learning from a fellow educator that specializes in quilting. I believe that has to happen before other participatory acts do.

    ReplyDelete