Saturday, May 30, 2015

Friendships - A Reason to Belong!

     I would belong to the international organization of women educators (DKG) if it had only the one purpose, Uniting Women Educators in a Genuine Spiritual Fellowship. Because of my membership I am friends with some of the most talented, dynamic, resourceful, intelligent and beautiful leaders
Berneil Drake, Arizona
1921-2015
in the world. Well, at least in 17 countries of the world.

     Berneil Drake, Arizona, was my friend and one such leader. I was shocked to read in her obiturary in April of this year that she was born in 1921. She was extremely youthful in her appearance, demeanor,
attitude, thinking and leadership style. I had few clues we were from different generations!

     Berneil and I had a special bond as we were both state organization editors during her 30 year tenure in Arizona. We had several other things in common. She served as international second vice president as did I.  We both chaired the international communications committee at the international level, and in that role reviewed hundreds of chapter and state organization websites.

     I was elated when she won the international achievement award in 2007, and remember fondly that  in 2010 when I received the same award, she commented about our similar paths as editors and the fact that I had just been elected as the international second vice-president.

     Berneil was one classy lady and will be missed by all! She was, as I want to be, alive when she died.  Serving as her state organization's liaison to the DKG Educational Foundation at the time of her death, she left a generous bequest to the Foundation - a living testimony of her dedication to giving to educate the world.  Goodbye Berneil and thanks for the memories.  

     If you are reading this blog, chances are you are someone I might not know but for my membership in DKG. Please know I am grateful for your friendship. Let's stay in touch!

1 comment:

  1. You are correct! I no idea of her age. She was a charming lady.

    ReplyDelete