Saturday, May 24, 2014

Touching lives for 100 years!


Nellie Rea Gordon, right, with Wanda Roe,
at the Southeast Regional Conference
 in Charlotte, North Carolina in 1985.
Wanda was outgoing and Nellie was
 the incoming state organization president.
     Anna Gordon Burns wrote the following about her mother, Nellie Rea Gordon, a current DKG member in Georgia, and a past state organization president in Arkansas.
 
     In finding two letters  from students of her mom, Burns shared,  "One letter was from a student in her Latin I and then Spanish I class in the mid 70s. She wrote that when asked to prepare a speech presenting an award in a post-secondary class, her speech presented “the Teacher of the Year Award at Prescott High School” to mother because of the impact she had on her life.   

     The second letter was from a former student-turned-fellow teacher who said, “You dear lady, have been a great inspiration to my life...As a fellow teacher, your acceptance of me as an equal was humbling, and your praise of me and your encouragement provided much needed confidence for some difficult times. Your enthusiasm for teaching and zest for life itself was always contagious. Speaking from my heart, whenever I hear the word, ‘teacher’ you come to my mind. You are one of the reasons I became a teacher.”

      In her 100 years Nellie Rea Gordon taught and touched numerous lives.  Both Nellie and her sister,  Addie Belle Sledge Harper, were teachers and members of DKG. Addie Belle served as Alabama state organization president (1973-1975), and in 1985, Nellie served Arkansas as its state organization president.
 
Nellie is now a member of Upsilon Chapter in Georgia, and celebrated her 100th birthday on May 18, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment